Tuesday, January 12, 2010

I Want to Suck Your Blood

Last year right around new years, I dropped by the blood center to try and donate. I've attempted to give blood in the past, but my iron was consistently a smidgen too low. But to my surprise, my iron was high enough and I was able to give. I was super proud of myself and I blogged about it to commemorate the occasion. As those of you who have donated before, you know the blood bank calls as soon as you are eligible once that 50-something days window opens. And I make an appointment and attempt, but pretty much, my iron is still riiiight below that acceptable line. Grrr.

Well, yesterday, I knew I would be in the area of the blood center so I planned ahead a little bit. The past couple of days I took vitamins w/extra iron, kept my caffeine intake to a minimum (stupid leecher), and ate the right combination of foods to maximize absorption.

And woot! My iron was finally, finally high enough yesterday! (I took the vitamin 1/2 an hour before I tried to give. And it worked, so there) I was so excited I even said "woo-hoo!" when the screening tech told me so. She probably thought I was nuts too, but whatever, it's not like crazy travels through blood. Happy everything is ok, I gather my stuff and I'm put in the donation room.

I settle in the chair and wait patiently. I've only given blood twice in my life so this isn't old hat for me. I'm a big girl and I know I signed up for this, but from those two measly times, I remember it being slightly uncomfortable with a needle in my arm. But I don't like to watch, I know this about myself. So the anticipation ends up making me nervous. Really nervous, like palm sweating nervous.

The vampire, (or phlebotomist or tech, whatever, the blood taker) notices my nerves and asks if I'm ok. I figure I'll be so once the needle is in and as long as I don't look either, which I tell her. I watch while she cleans the area, but as soon as she tells me to turn away, I do so without hesitation. I don't want to seem like a baby, but I let out a tiny whimper when the needle went in. And it doesn't hurt that bad once it's going, it's really just a pinch. But the mere thought of it is what's making me a little skittish.

We're ready to go! I'm given the squishy thing to pump (it was a Big Ass Fan donkey, which amused me and I knew without looking at. Those things are popular in this town), but something isn't right. Vampire 1 called over Vampire 2, and they turned the needle a few times. Cute boy technician (vampire 2) was really gentle (what? I was nervous, not blind), but something just wasn't working and they stopped.

So after all that, the prep, the nerves, the head turning and blatant not looking, getting the needle in and going as far to squeezing the squishy donkey, my veins decide to not cooperate and ruin the whole process.

So the blood center wasn't able to get a usable donation from me. And now I have to wait another 8 weeks to try the whole circus again.

BOO HISS.

No comments: