Friday, January 8, 2010

Hostess with the Mostest

Wanna hear about the times I totally rocked the hostess thing? Of course you do. Stories of such follow:

Before the whole having doubts about the marriage and I was still pretending to care about he band, the ex's band was on the radio as the local artist feature or something. We were going to go to a bar to listen (umm, really? Because you can hear the radio in a bar?), but there had been thunderstorms that night and the bar had no power. However, our apartment had power, the sound system to hear it, and was huge (I loved that apartment). It's pretty obvious our place is the back up plan, but my ex wouldn't tell me one way or the other. So while he hems and haws with his friend about I don't know what, I take over the situation and enter this conversation:

Me: Honey. Hey! Answer me, yes or no. In 30 minutes, are your friends and their girlfriends coming over to our apartment?
Ex: Yes.
Me: Ok. Then don't think I'm crazy because I'm going to go clean.

--flurry of activity ensues--

I wipe down the kitchen counters and bathroom surfaces, stock the toilet paper, took out the trash and recycling, dusted the coffee table, grabbed all the chairs, stools, floor pillow, and fans in the place, arranged both for maximum circulation, taped the cords down and even rearranged the fridge a bit to fit more beer in there. (though when 15 people each bring a 12+ pack, some of it stays warm because it had to go on the very clean counter tops. It's my fridge, and my stuff gets precedence over a friend's crappy beer that was going to be taken away in a few hours anyway)

Meanwhile, fiance and friend left to go buy beer. In fairness, he had learned the hard way to stay the hell out of they way when I snap into crazy hostess mode. They came back to a rearranged living room with the fans blowing at full blast and together say: Whoa!

Ex: Babe? (in a kinda scared/yet slightly awed voice) You did all of this in 30 minutes?
Me (with glass of wine in my hand and makeup applied): 20.

2nd story tomorrow! (I'm tired of typing honestly)

No comments: