Friday, January 29, 2010

Watch What You Eat

Today as I was walking to the gym, I started to feel funny. I got really warm really fast, (and it was 21 degrees fyi) felt my entire body going flush and my knees were getting watery. I knew exactly what was happening, my blood sugar was starting to drop, and it was dropping fast. This almost never happens to me, only twice in my life (now 3). But because they are such freak occurrences, they stick out in my memory and I could immediately identify what the hell was going on and know what to do.

Fortunately I was very close to the gym and even more fortunately, I knew I had an apple in my backpack (I've given up on the bananas in the backpack- while tasty and fun alliteration, it is also very messy when squished). As soon as I got to the lobby, I fished out my apple and sociology book (I had to do something to not look unhealthy, they wouldn't have let me work out) and remedied the situation. (fruit juices are a great quick fix, a whole piece of fruit can't be that far off of the same benefits). But this sent off a red flag in my mind and I realized, I need to start watching what I eat. Not in a going on a diet sense, I do need to be more aware of what I'm eating in lui of the activities I'll be doing the rest of the day.

I've never been one to (consciously*) diet, and I've always eaten whatever I wanted, when I wanted and never had to worry about those mean diet mantas such as: nothing taste as good as skinny feels, or once on the lips, forever on the hips. I eat meats, carbs, I can't stay away from cheese, and if there's desert I'll take 2. If it's on some forbidden list of some diet, I will probably eat it, not think about it and be on my merry way. I know, I would hate me too if it wasn't so awesome.

But today's blood sugar drop made me realize that I can't be as cavalier about it. Because while I had breakfast before class, a bowl of fruit loops and coffee was apparently not enough to get me to early afternoon. So while I'm not going to start shying away from a twinkie (and the day I do, check me into a mental hospital because I freaking love twinkies), but I know I don't want this to happen again.

*I pretty much stopped eating before I left my fiance. I was on the I'm too depressed to eat diet and lost 10 lbs in addition to 180 lbs of upcoming rock star. If I ever do go on a diet, this isn't the route I want to go.

No comments: