Friday, January 15, 2010

Being Compared to an Elephant is Never Good

So yesterday I'm at the gym, which is pretty normal for me since I'm in training mode. I'm starting to recognize a few of the workers, but that's mainly because they wear shirts that say staff on them. But besides that, no one really stands out and I don't notice much of anyone else. I'm not exactly in the mood to be noticed or be eye candy when I'm at the gym either. Not to say I mind it when eye candy for me strolls past, but that's just a bonus. I'm there there to train.

But yesterday, I could not help but notice this one girl when I was running. It's not that she was dressed to impress (oh yes, UK girls wear full makeup to the gym) or exerting her physical prowess. In fact, she was quite homely, and she's probably often over looked. Poor thing had terrible acne, I think there was more inflamed skin then there was cheek bone. I digress. But she was just running, so, well... not right. I'm far from someone who is able to tell what you're doing right and wrong (despite my overwhelming tendency to judge on everything else) when it comes to running. I annoy my sister anytime I have the slightest question running wise. But this plain pimply girl was just not doing it right.

She had the treadmill set entirely too fast, because she was stomping as she ran. She looked like she was practically leaping and then crashing back to the belt. The whole machine was shaking from the impact. I could hear her over my ear buds and 3 treadmills down. She sort of sounded like an ungraceful elephant. And judging by the amount of people who turned to look at the source of the noise, others noticed too. The stomping went on for a while, then stopped. Then started again and stopped again. Stomp stop stomp stop. You get the pattern.

I finished up my (much quieter) run after her 3rd or 4th stomp fest and started walking towards the stretching area. But I had to walk past her to get there. And I was really tempted to interrupt her workout, tap her on the shoulder and say: seriously, slow down, because either this treadmill or your kneecaps are coming out of this run broken.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Hey! I do not get annoyed when you ask running questions. That's just my helpful face. ;) haha No really, you're not annoying me; I'm glad you got into running.