Sunday, January 17, 2010

The Lines of Friendship

As a med/peds doctor, my doctor friend treats kids and grown ups. Anyway, she can and has delivered babies, and she tells me it's a pretty great moment. And as long as everything is normal, when the time comes, she could deliver my kids.

But instead of thinking, oh wow, one of my best friends would be there at seemingly the happiest moment of my life, I asked her:

Me: Umm, would you have to look at my hoo?
P: Well, yes. That's where I would have to be if I'm delivering your kids.
Me: Then no, I do not want you delivering my children. We're friends and all, but I'm fine if we never cross that line.
P: Phew, cool.
Me: You can totally be my kids' doctor after they come out though.
P: I better be.

I've been told there's a remarkable lax of privacy when you're having a baby, with doctors, nurses, med students (if you're at a teaching hospital), and invasive family (Seriously, stay out almost mother in-law!*) all entering the room when you are in that state. Maybe at that point you don't care if a friends sees that because she's a medical professional and it's just another day in the office for her. But I for one, still think it's a little icky. And I'm glad that she agrees.

*Oh yes, I *actually* had to have that conversation with the almost mother-in-law. She was in the delivery room for her daughter's first born. Held back a leg and everything. So she assumed the same for the ex and I. I flat out said no (not that it matters anymore, she can invade another girl's private moment now). She was a little hurt, until I explained I don't even want my own mom in there. When I relayed this story back to my mom, her response to I don't want her in there was: "oh thank god! I don't want to be there either!"

No comments: