Monday, April 6, 2009

Veterinary Gold Mine

This is the amount of work my dog has had done:
  • She had Parvo and almost died less than a week of adopting her (October)
  • Worms from the pound (October)
  • Pneumonia right after the parvo (November)
  • Spayed and her dew claws removed (December)
  • 4 months later (April), she eats a big bunch of grapes (the amount she had would have caused kidney failure) and gets her stomach pumped (seriously).
  • A month after that (May), she tears her right hind ACL being the spaz that she is .
  • And a month after that (June)she tears the other hind ACL due to the overcompensation of the first one.
She's not even 2 yet. We decided to go ahead and have her get the surgeries to fix her knees, the first one was done right around her 1st birthday, the 2nd one 3 months later (right in the middle of the break up-tell me that didn't add to my stress levels). Thousands of dollars in vet bills later, she was finally fixed (this was one of there reason I had such a difficult time coping without her for 5 months. All that work in the dog and I didn't even get to have her)

And then a month ago she started limping again. Because I was not dealing with knee-gate 3.0, I promptly found a new vet, got her records faxed (3 pages of them!) took her in and kept my fingers crossed she hadn't damaged her bionic knees. Fortunately, the surgery is fine, but the vet thinks she strained a different muscle in her knee this time. But this can be fixed with a series of 8 shots (of what I think are steroids in my non-medical professional opinion), which we're in the middle of the series right now. But she'll still need booster shots for in one knee for the rest of her life. If she is she damages the other again I will scream bloody 'effing murder.

God she's high maintenance. And sometimes I think, what the hell did I get myself into with her? This dog better out live me with all the crap we/I've done to keep her alive (for a while I nicknamed her suicide doggie, when I caught her trying to lick the microwave plug while it was plugged in). She's also the original Spazzella. But she looks at me with those brown eyes and her tail wags a mile a minute whenever she sees me, and I forget that thought. I'm just happy that I get to keep her, trouble that she is.

No comments: