Wednesday, April 22, 2009

Gossipy gossipy

I've been wanting to take down my relationship status on facebook for a while now. I just want to leave the field blank, this has nothing to do with my crush for the record (how uber-creepy would it be if it did?). But facebook, being the gossipy 14 year old girl that it is, lets everyone you know anything you change.

Get a new friend: Sarah is now friends with so and so
Sarah updated her music preferences/contact information/schools, bla bla bla
Sarah has taken the what personality quiz are you

You get the point. Annoying. So if you change anything, even changing it to nothing, everyone will know. And just to add insult to injury, you know what facebook does when you change your relationship status? It puts a mthr fcking heart next to it (broken or intact depending which way you change).

Example: take down your engaged status and "Sarah is no longer listed as "engaged"" pops up with a broken heart next to it. Which helped my emotional turmoil, so, so, so much. Then when I listed myself as single: Sarah is listed as "single" with an intact heart. (because I was so hopeful about that?) If I change it to a non-existent status (which is what I want to do now), it will say: Sarah is no longer listed as single with a full heart next to it (just assume there facebook, just assume)

You know what it doesn't announce to the world though? If the person you're in a relationship with changed their status to single, or if someone un-friends you (which I have done to people-they had 300+ friends I don't think they noticed they were less 1. And also I didn't care about their stupid updates). It will "tell" everyone who person A is friends with that person A is no longer listed as in a relationship with person B. Except person B that is (they might get the status update if person A still has you as a "friend." So not only does facebook rub your face in your status, it also makes you look like a chump.

I learned my lesson, so I'm never changing anything ever again on it. My real friends know what's going on with me and that's what matters.

1 comment:

John said...

Completely understandable. "Facebook" and "privacy" are two words that don't go together.