Wednesday, April 29, 2009

Math Skillz

Math is one of those things that you either get or don't get in my opinion. I get it, I always have. But since I hadn't taken a math class in almost 9 years, my skills were a bit rusty to say the least. So I'm in pre-algebra as a refresher course.

Anyway, I almost always get the right answers but I don't always say them out loud because I don't want to be the only one who ever answers in class. Because I don't want to be that person who ends up annoying everyone. Well today I said the right answer (as I am wont to do) and as I was answering, I heard something murmured between the 2 guys that sit behind me (one of them's the mouth breather). I didn't hear what was said, but from the tone and timing, I could tell it was something along the lines of little-miss-know-it-all.

And it hurt my feelings at first, but then I slowly started seething. Why should I feel bad for something I'm good at? I earned my A, and I'm not going to diminish one of my strengths because you don't seem to get this stuff.

I did get mollified a little bit though. I stayed after class to ask my professor about taking a placement test (to get into a higher class this summer), and he said: "yes you do" all affirmative. It was obvious from his tone that he knew I was doing well and thinks I might be able to place. My algebra skills came back pretty quick in that class, so fingers crossed my trigonometry does too. But this was said in front of the mouth breather, who was trying to arrange an extra help for this class. So there, nanny nanny boo boo.


1 comment:

John said...

Vindication is a wonderful thing, isn't it? Congrats on taking the right attitude in dealing with the jerk. Don't say a thing; let your actions (and your success) speak for you.