Friday, April 10, 2009

Grits

(Girls Raised In The South)

I consider Kentucky's a southern state, but even though I grew up here I never really considered myself a southerner. That is until I went to college, literally, across the river. People were shocked I didn't have an accent, that my high school class was bigger then their Ohio one, and that I wasn't barefoot and pregnant. Once a friend asked me why I wasn't (barefoot and pregnant) and my reply: I don't have any brothers. Point, Sarah.

Lexington is caught in the middle of south and north really. It's a liberal town in a conservative state. Kentucky in general isn't deep south like Georgia peaches, but it ain't exactly New England north either. But now that I've plunked myself willingly in Lexington, I'm starting to realize I have a few southern tendencies. For example, I like big hair. And I know that there are 200+ uses for WD-40. And people do say y'all in Ohio, but all y'all, that belongs south of the river.

There is one thing I wish southern gals didn't do on a constant basis. And that's wear makeup everywhere. Because when I go out in public, even to class, with out it on, people look at me like I'm a freak of nature.

No comments: