Sunday, April 12, 2009

People

I have people. And my people have people (though it's a pretty circular group). And you don't realize how much you love your people until you're forced to socialize with not your people.
For example, my ex's friends are so not my people. I never did and I never was going to fit in with them. His friends were nice enough, but I had no desire to hang out with them on my own.
Last summer I went to a baby shower for one of the ex's friends. I had offered to throw her a shower myself because I didn't know if any one else in that group was going to or frankly knew how. Fortunately, someone already took the shower duties and all I had to be was a guest.

I felt so out of place at that baby shower. I was the only person there who didn't have at least 2 visible tattoos and a piercings (not that any tattoos or piercings), the only one (except the mom-to-be for the moment) who didn't smoke, and also the only one wearing a pink. And I had the audacity to wear navy (gasp!) is a sea of black skull and cross bones.

By the 3rd smoke break where everyone left the room except me, I remember thinking, "what the hell am I doing here with you people?" I didn't even have much to say in the way of small talk, I exhausted that with them 2 years prior. My shower gift, was something useful off the registry, it wasn't a screen printed onsiee that you can't wash (real smart there skank guest). And for the record, I never got a thank you note for it.

Not my people. Nice enough, but sooooo not my people.

No comments: