Thursday, January 8, 2009

Suburbia

I am anti-suburban sprawl. And I've had this stance since high school, this isn't a everyone's doing it green-wash stance. Green is good, yes I know. This is different. I hate seeing generic design built homes pop up like daises on what used to be farm land. Because in Lexington, there used to be a fair amount of it.

Now I lived in a suburbia all my live, there are no disillusions there. My parents bought their house when they got married, and have no intention of leaving anytime soon (and neither do I for that matter). There was a farm and tiny shopping center across the street, and that was it. If you wanted to go anywhere, you drove. Everything in Lexington takes 20 minutes or less, if it's more then that it's too far and not worth it. So I was used to living out in the quasi-boonies.

Somewhere during college-round-1, the farm sold and developers were chomping at the bit to do something. I didn't really care about the farm, but I did not want houses to go there. However it was zoned for business, so no cookie cutter homes! And it's not just empty office buildings that no one will rent. There's a Walgreens, a Kroger, a hotel, a handful of Americanized-ethnic restaurants, a gym, a few banks and even a gas station. So the butcher, the baker the candle stick maker if you will. Places I actually patronize, and that I can walk to (and do).

I'm still anti suburban sprawl, but I won't rule out one of those homes for myself down the road honestly. You won't find me building my own generic home, but I'm not above taking one that's already been built. It's already there, so it's not like I'm doing any more destruction. But what I'd really like to do is buy a home in my neighborhood one day, as long as it stays in the right school district that is. If we get redistricted though, all bets are off.

No comments: