Monday, January 12, 2009

I'm not stupid

I have a group of ridiculously smart friends from high school. And by group, I mean all of them. Believe it or not, I went to a really good public school in Kentucky. But one of the things about having smart friends is that I feel that I'm competing with them. One's in med school, two have already passed the bar. And the rest of them are working on a PhD or already have a masters.

And then there's me, who went to school for interior design. First, I will never belittle the design career or dumb it down. It's hard, and it's a lot more then picking out paint colors. I admire my college friends who are architects and designers, they do something I couldn't do myself. Design is not one of my strengths and I've realized that. I made the wrong career choice at 18. But my high school friends, all made that same type choice at at 18, and they doing pretty well with it.

I know I'm not the sharpest tool in the shed to them. I'm flighty, I giggle, and I can tell you who are Hefner's new girl friends before I can name all 3 of Newton's principles (at least I know there are 3 right?). I knew I couldn't compete with these people on that level. I wasn't applying to Ivy league schools and I was no where close to scoring a 1600 on my SAT (isn't it 2400 now?). And now I'm going back to school too, so we might get some college rivalry going again. But I'm starting from scratch, essentially I'm going back for an undergrad. So while they are writing their dissertations, I'm just trying to remember how to find the hypotenuse of a triangle. I still feel like the 18 year old who picked interior design. I played the silly girl card for too long and it's left me feeling pretty lousy about myself. I'm used to being the dumb friend. But I'm not stupid. And it's about time I proved that to myself.

2 comments:

John said...

Of course, the reason we're going for PhDs is because the degrees we hold don't do us any good. :)

schizm42 said...

seriously? i certainly think you're very smart. you're very quick!