Saturday, May 2, 2009

Happy Derby Day!

It's the first Saturday in May! You know what that means?! It's the Kentucky Derby! SQUEEEE!

Ok, so this may or may not be a big deal to some people, but to this Kentuckian, it is. Today is a sacred day here. I didn't truly appreciate the Derby for what it is until I went to college across the river. I was a little bummed because I couldn't make the traditional party my family always goes to and no one seemed to grasp why I was bummed about missing a horse race. Granted, someone did ask me what a derby party was and I said: "a grown up kegger." But that's beside the point.

The Belmont and Preakness are highly publicized races too, but it's the Kentucky Derby that starts it all. And lets face it, if the derby winner doesn't win/race in the Belmont, no one cares since the Triple Crown won't happen (ps, that hasn't happened since Affirmed in 1978).

I love horse racing. Love it, love it, love it. (little tip: never bet on the horse I choose, 9 times out of 10, the horse I choose comes in last or is scratched before the race even begins). I'm amazed at how such a big beautiful animal is so amazingly graceful, fluid and powerful at the same time. This is their showcase. There's just nothing that compares to the Kentucky Derby in my opinion. To me (and many others), this is the most exciting 2 minutes in sports. I've never been to it though, but one day soon I will. I'll be wearing a huge hat and drink mint juleps (I love bourbon now, shut up), and enjoy it for it's splendor.

So here's to!

No comments: