Sunday, May 10, 2009

Mom Move

In honor of Mothers Day:
I will totally be able to do this mom thing. Please, it's not like it's hard or whatever. And clearly I am qualified to give parenting advice because I have no children of my own. Clearly. Right. I put almost everything in my planner, can you imagine the melt down I'm going to have when my kid doesn't puke on schedule? (it will be hilarious I'm sure). But once, I totally pulled a "mom move."

Bailey was still a puppy, (not even 6 months at the time), and we were at my ex's parents house. It was thanksgiving, so my almost-sister-in law-and her family were there too. We
brought our "baby," and his sister brought hers too, only her baby was a real baby, a toddler at the time. The puppy, being a puppy, spazed at any given moment. And the toddler, being a toddler, toddled and poked things.

I had crouched down to hug/play with the toddler, but Bailey took that as a sign to tackle! and starts running full speed toward me. The baby is in between the puppy and me (like monkey in the middle, w/out any of that annoying tossing) and neither of them have any idea what's going on. The pup has no idea she's careening out of control and is about to bull charge the toddler, and the toddler has no idea she needs to get out of the way (plus, she lacked the diving skills). This was going to end in multiple fall down go booms. In one fell swoop, I scooped the toddler up onto one of my hips and out of the way, and Heisman-ed the charging puppy with the other arm. All from a Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon stance.

It took a nano second for it to register, but I thought, "whoa, that was a mom move." The toddler thought we were rough housing and squealing with delight, and the puppy is flopping around on the floor like normal, because well, that's just what she does. Fall down go booms averted. And for 10 seconds, I had the mom thing down. Clearly, this qualifies me.

But to my mom, you rocked it. And to all my friends who are mommies, you're rocking it too. Happy Mother's Day!

No comments: