Thursday, May 14, 2009

The Next Julia Child? (is not me)

When I lived on my own, I started cooking for myself and found that I really enjoyed it. Over the years I've learned a few techniques, mastered a few recipes and have even gotten decent at timing everything to come out together. And I really like trying new recipes too, so the cookbook section of the book store is my 2nd favorite section (fiction's first).

But I am also a very messy cook. Very very messy. It doesn't matter ("one pot meal" my ass) I inevitably will use/dirty almost, if not every pan, knife, stirring utensil and get some sort of splatter somewhere(s). (I'm also a noisy cook, but I think that's just because I'm a noisy person in general)
Case in point: When I made dinner on Mother's Day, for the whole meal (Chinese BBQ salmon w/bacon) I dirtied: 2 frying pans, 2 mixing bowls, the broiler pan, a small sauce pan, a cookie sheet, the butcher and bread knives, both cutting boards, not to mention 2 wooden spoons, the kitchen tongs, 2 spatulas (one for raw meat, another for veggies) and a handful of measuring cups and spoons.

And that was just the cooking, that doesn't include the dinner plates and serving dishes either. However, dinner was tasty (the fish was a little over done though), on the table before 8, and came together quite seamlessly. And I got to try something out of the cook book I got my mom for mother's day (really, it was for me) Seduced by Bacon. And who doesn't love bacon? No one, that's who. Except vegetarians and the kosher Jews. But besides them, no one.

No comments: