Monday, May 11, 2009

Women are bitches

There was a conversation going on around me between 3 women about their weight. The topic of ideal weight came up, but how it's not truly realistic because idea weight doesn't account for frame shape. I was keeping my mouth shut all the same. And then they segue-wayed into their problem areas. One woman started talking about some of the exercises her trainer had her do for her triceps, and that they were a somewhat weird position. I piped in here with a: I do a couple of these (and then demonstrated) to tone mine up a little bit.

Before I finished the word tone, she cut me off and said I wasn't allowed to be a part of this conversation (being the skinny person that I am was heavily implied). It was said with a joking tone, but I think we all know it wasn't. And what's worse, is that even before I opened my mouth, I knew I should have clamped it shut. I blushed and looked down, embarrassed for being thin (and curvy in the right areas too). But then I started to silently seethe. Because here's what I wish I had snapped back at her:

I look this way because I have earned every pound I've lost. Physically and mentally I earned it. You want to train for a half marathon, then go for it. You want to break your engagement and stop eating, then go ahead. When you are so depressed you consider ending your life, (December was a bad month for me) and then decide that living, and doing it healthily is a better option, go for it.

I get to be skinny
because I fcking earned it.

No comments: