Saturday, August 1, 2009

Get In Line

I admit I'm not a great matchmaker (they end up being one sided matches, I can get one person interested but not so much the other one). So a few years ago when I got it in my head that 2 single friends/coworkers would be cute together, I meddled a little bit anyway. Neither of them took the bait, and I wasn't able to push them into something I wanted to create for my own personal amusement (oh and their happiness too, yes of course, that was my motivation).

But I meddled regardless. Since I was off the market, I wasn't considered any sort of threat (gee thanks). Everyone at work talked, (and gossip is currency in the restaurant business), so I listened/eavesdropped. It didn't take long to figure out my target guy was one of the top 3 crushed on in the place. So when I was training a new girl behind the bar (turns out TG had a little crush on her), she mentioned her little crush for TG (I wasn't a threat, people told me things). Number one, I wasn't surprised, but more so, I wanted him for my friend (nothing against this girl, she's lovely and fun had a string of admirers herself). And as I've mentioned before, who didn't have a crush on him?

So I chuckled and told her: "get in line."

It wasn't intended maliciously, just more of a heads up sort of deal. But TG and trainee ended up dating each other shortly after I moved, and my intended for friend found herself a boyfriend, so whatever I did was moot. And this is one of TG's favorite funny-things-I've-said-stories about me. And as funny as it was and they all know it wasn't said to be mean, a little part wishes I had mananged to fix my intended two up. Or that someone would say get in line about me (but not in a whorey way).

1 comment:

Bry said...

Any lessons learned?