Saturday, August 22, 2009

Are You Ready for Some Football?

HELL YEAH I AM!!

I'll let your head stop spinning and you can gather your wits about you before I continue.

Yes, that's right, it's football season, and I'm excited. What? It's a sport with balls and teams. And while I don't play those, I do occasionally enjoy watching them (I'm a big March Madness fan btw). Did I just rock your world of it's axis? The reason I'm excited is because I have my very own fantasy team (and I'm saying this like a proud 6 year old who just got her own bedroom). And, it's a league of all women.

The idea of an all woman league started about 4 years ago. My friends and I were lamenting over being football widows. It was bad enough our guys followed one team religiously and you couldn't change the channel for 2.5 hours on Sunday (when they run the best marathons on VH-1). They all had fantasy teams too, so they had to watch every other game and check every single stat too. I could put up with one football game, but all day? Shoot me.

We were bored. And we also didn't really care. I don't know about the other girls, but I since I had nothing invested in the pigskin sport, I wanted to play with my ex's team for my own amusement at least. But something about not knowing what "off sides" is or not knowing what a running back actually does made him think I "wasn't serious." That and he had something like $500 in this thing and he wasn't going to play someone because yours truly "liked the team colors."

Side story, he offered me in a trade.
He asked his league what do I have to give to get player X?
Another person snarked, "how 'bout your girlfriend?"
I think he considered it. Wouldn't let me play, but apparently I'm play trade worthy.


Anyway, us widows are siting around the kitchen table (probably with wine). And Jeanne says: here's my idea. we get an all ladies league, and the only rule is that you can't ask you're SO for help. Hell yeah I was in.

And voila, here was are at our third year. I made it my personal mission to get a better team them my ex. I'm not really a football widow anymore, but I'm still pretty pumped about it. I've had Romo the past 2 years, and I'm ready for a change. It royally pissed me off that he couldn't play because of his g*ddamn pinky. Yes I'm still bitter about that (what a sissy pants). But I've made it to the playoffs both times. I just happen to go out the 2nd round of it.

Bring it on ladies, let's play some football!

Hey, um, somebody? What's offsides?

No comments: