Sunday, August 30, 2009

Addiction

I admit I'm addicted to caffeine. I get headaches if I don't have a cup of coffee in the morning. But it's legal and fairly harmless. And it's not like I need a steady stream of it to function throughout the day. Well I did when I was in studio senior year, but those were extenuating circumstances. When you loose almost all (about 88%) of your work two weeks before it's due, other classes/eating/resting/sleep is no longer an option. My 30 minute full blown panic attack was the only time luxury I had.

But besides then (and other project weeks, though none were ever as stressful as that), my caffeine intake is one cup of coffee every morning. Regular drip, full caff (because decaf is for sissies and preggos). Sometimes I have a coke or another type of pop (I hate diet pop btw) a few times a week, and maybe twice a month I indulge in a foamy decadent fancy coffee in the afternoon (though I prefer it iced and not foamy in the summer).

So really, this isn't that big of a deal. When I want to have children I may have to reevaluate, but that's a few years off. And I don't drink enough to for it to be a huge concern (the general consensus of an acceptable level during pregnancy is 200 mg a day. That's just under 3 cans of coke. Course it really just depend on what your obgyn says). And if I do have to give it up completely because my doctor makes me, I will forever guilt my child. (What? I want to be a mom, but I never said I'd be an altruistic one). My ex and I had a conversation about my caffeine intake. He informed me I was giving coffee up completely for the sake of our unborn children. I said: No. ::pause::sigh:: Fine, I'll consider switching to decaf if the doctor tells me too, and only when the time comes. But you will never speak such evils to me ever again.

Why is it though that my non-coffee drinker boyfriends want me to get of the stuff though? I don't have a problem with a non coffee drinker, because that means more of it's heavenly elixir for me. But getting me off the stuff, that I don't want to be off in the first place, is a fail plan. I mean seriously, don't they understand that me with out caffeine is far scarier than me on a caffeine overload jitter high?

No comments: