Sunday, August 16, 2009

Flirt

Flirt: to court triflingly or act amorously without serious intentions; play at love; coquette.(Dictionary. com)

We used to have quote boards in my college house and here's one from yours truly: "I get a lot of sh*t for being a flirt, but I don't care."

Yeah, I know what people say about me. I know I'm a flirt. And sometimes, I don't care if I'm ruffling a few feathers along the way. When I was a bartender, I flirted my ass off with customers and my co-workers (pissed my boyfriend off though). I flirted with co-workers my age when I was on co-op. (I didn't flirt when I worked in maternity though. Because that's trampy, hitting on someone who just had a baby). I'll flirt when I'm the one ordering at the bar. I flirt with my friends (guys and girls on occasion). I flirt with anyone who can get me better service. I flirt with ideas.

The point? I flirt. Almost all the damn time.

And yes, I get in trouble for it. I've tripped over a few lines. I've never gone after another woman's boyfriend (or baby daddy-see above). But I have flirted enough with some that it ended up pissing the girlfriend off. It's also made a lot of my boyfriends not trust me. One said "if anyone's going to cheat in this relationship, it's going to be you." Ouch. I don't remember how much longer we lasted after that. Though instead of reining my ways like I think he hoped, it incensed me and probably encouraged them 10-fold (ha!). (moral of the story: don't get a jackass for a boyfriend)

But even if I am acting a bit coquettish, doesn't mean I'm going to act on it. I flirt for the fun of it. And believe it or not, I do have guys that do not return my sentiments. Besides, what's that saying? Don't hate the player, hate the game.

1 comment:

schizm42 said...

really? i just figured you're really friendly w/ everyone =) (though i guess thats what flirting is at its core right?)