Thursday, August 6, 2009

Texting: friend or foe?

I blame text messages for the death of my engagement.

Ok not really, it was that he wants to be a rock star but he's never going anywhere anyway and I'm way too awesome to settle for his mediocrity.

But at the end of us, the only communication we sent to each other were snippy text messages (for example: I would like one weekend with my friends that you don't stress me out to the point of tears). Hard to have a heart to heart and a serious discussion about the rest of your lives in 160 characters or less.

But I find it handy for almost everything else. Often a person can't talk on the phone, because they're at work (or on a date and if you answer your phone on a date that's mthr fcking rude). But the receiver can surreptitiously check a message and find out you'll be in town in a few hours or what bar you're meeting up later. Or when you hear about the metro crash in DC and you're worried that your friend might take that train home from work. You can frantically text and ask if she's ok. She texted right back letting me know everyone was fine and I released a breath I didn't know I was holding. Or when you see something hysterical and you just have to snark right this instant. Twitter is great for this btw (also, text speaking instead of full words in unlimited space like email or blogging is annoying, but I really like the btw for some reason).

So super handy at times like those. And it can be a fun way to flirt too. However breaking up via text: pussy.

1 comment:

mouthy_broad said...

i am the friend who might have been on the metro!

also--why was i so slow to get on texting? so silly. i love it and twitter. so easy.