Saturday, August 8, 2009

Good to be the King

There are a few perks to knowing your manager on a social level (and it doesn't hurt if they think you're cute). When I bartended a few years ago, some of us would "happen" to be at the same place our boss "happened" to be too. This was verboten by company policy. But we're all young and think we're invincible and it was just a "coincidence" anyway.

Well anyway, I knew two managers on a more social level outside of work, and it carried over a bit to our work lives. And don't think it was just me, plenty of us were buddy-buddy with these guys outside of work. And buddy-buddy lets you get away with a few things. Now I didn't do anything like steel money or sleep with my boss. Nothing fire worthy or that would get me arrested. But there are things that I giggle at that I got away with.

One morning the opening manager was singing the Star Spangled Banner but he mixed in America the Beautiful lyrics in the middle of it (wha? I don't get it either). And when he wanted comments on his singing, I shot him a look and said, dude, those are the wrong words.
His retort was "hey aren't you part Japanese or something, what do you know?"


So I sassed back, (hand on hip and waving my long pointy finger at him) "first, I'm half Chinese. And I'm all American you jackass!"

He started cracking up and I know the rest of the staff heard as well.


Another little thing was one night when I was the closing bartender. I was probably only a week away from my last day as well. But it was around 11, so I was hungry and tired (and we know this is ominous in Sarah-world), and I needed chocolate because yes, it was that time too. So to get me through the next hour I swiped one of the birthday brownies (apparently they don't have those anymore. boo) and started to walk back to the bar where the closers were gathered. And knowing (but not caring) I wasn't supposed to have a brownie, as I'm walking back, I shout out the top of my lungs "Kevin! Can I have this brownie that I have every intention of eating any way?"

He said something along the lines of I guess I don't really have a choice, and wisely let me have it (truth, I don't think he wanted to hear me whine). Whatever, I still got the brownie.

No comments: