Saturday, June 20, 2009

The Quiet Game

I think we all know I'm destined to loose the quiet game. And I've said "if am not talking to you, I am only one of two options: ridiculously tired or mad as hell." And this is pretty spot on.

I'm highly uncomfortable with silence. If there's a pause, I will most likely fill it with chatter. I'll say the random thought that's in my head (for example: I want a cookie. And an elephant ride (wtf?). Hey when's the circus coming to town?), I'll ask a random question, (once again, whens the circus coming to town?) and sometimes I pick up conversation that ended a few hours ago. Though I'm not always with the same people when the original conversation took place, so I get to have the parley over again. Or I just get confused looks. Could go either way.

It's terrible, I tend to wake up before my boyfriends and I'll have to lay there quietly until they wake up. When I started dating my ex, I got sick of that game and started poking him to wake up earlier and talk to me. He did not care for that. (I was bored! And I wasn't going to be the crazy girl that talked to herself. Out loud). It was handier when we lived together, I could get out of bed when I felt like it and go accomplish things in another room. I usually had 3-4 things done (coffee, let puppy out, shower, check email...) done by the time he woke up, which was about 3 more things that he did all day.

But with Library Guy, I'm comfortable not talking at times. I can even snuggle up next to him and not say anything. Of course these moments only last 3 minutes tops, but it's a start right?

Though my ex told me: me not talking was one of the oddest/scariest things he's ever seen. HA!

No comments: