Tuesday, June 23, 2009

Divorce Court

I used to watch Jon and Kate Plus 8. Loved it. But even towards the end of the 4th season, my attention was waning. And over the summer as that show was splashed across the gossip magazines, I stopped watching completely. Because there's no entertainment value in watching a marriage crumble (unless it's divorce court).

Now while I didn't get a divorce, I did break an engagement which is along the same lines (this is my I've been more broken hearted than you trump card, and I will play it at times). It's a lot more than a typical break-up. It's a irrevocably life altering. It was (relatively) lucky we both came out of it nothing more than emotionally shattered. (Well, I came out that way, I don't know if he even shed a tear over me). We didn't have to do anything legal. We didn't have to sell/divide a house, split a banking account, and no kids means no custody agreement (though honestly, if we had kids I would have stayed with him-also, we would have been married). I gave back the ring, gave him the dog, and walked away.

A broken engagement is better than a divorce, but sometimes you don't feel that way. I felt that I had been hit with a ton of bricks when I realized I wanted out. I dealt with a litany of emotions, some I never expected (humiliation was one of them). I felt weak and anguish, and at the same time, unexpected strength and relief. I was a conflict personified. And while I can now lend a sympathetic shoulder to someone going through a breakup, I want people to realizes something: a breakup, no matter who's it is, is not anyone's entertainment

No comments: