Saturday, June 6, 2009

Drama

Last night I met a friend/former coworker for a drink. We used to bartend together, so we have similar stories and opinions, and we kow exaclty what it's like to work in the service indusrty. Well, anyway, we went to the restaurant where her roommate works, and my friend gave me a little back story on the people. Basically, there's a lot of dipping in the company inkpot. Quell surprise, no one's super cool with the sharing (not to mention almost everyone is someone's sloppy second).

And I started thinking back about to my bartending days, and will honestly say: I do not miss it. There's a ridiculous amount of drama going on behind the scenes. Way too much for my general tolerance (and it's low). Even if no one's sleeping with a co-worker (which, bullsh*t, there's always some sort of inter-restaurant couple), there's still cliques, cliques w/in those cliques, backbiting, and insipid inside jokes. And have you ever noticed that once you work for one restaurant, you can't hang out with any different restaurant personnel?

Sometimes, it's almost like being in high school again. And is there anything more EPIC than high school drama? No.

No comments: