Monday, March 9, 2009

Mother Nature is Mocking Me

So here I am, trying to balance school/homework, work, and training for a half marathon in a month. I'm trying to run outdoors. I really really am. But March is so, so, sooooo windy. And it's pissing me off. Serious pissing me off, screaming obscenities (which does not bode well for breathing) and crying frustrated tears (which does not bode well for hydration) while running because I'm so slow. Running into the wind literally feels like I'm hurling myself against a brick wall and I don't even have bruises/battle scars to show for it.

I would like to take 10-15 minutes off my time this half, but I don't think it's going to happen. At least with the way my runs have been going outside. I'll try to get miles on the treadmill/ indoor track at the gym. But it's not the same. Because running in a environmentally controlled cavern with a regulated pace and no incline (seriously, I hate inclines) is not the same as running on the street, exposed to the elements and 1000s of people around you. At least there are water stations along the way during a race (and I'll suck a gel pack down around mile 7).

But I did get some cuter running clothes, so maybe I won't feel as trollish at the gym anymore. And there's always the excitement of the race as well to push me through. I guess my goal should be the same this time: finish and not die. And it got me through the first race, it can get me through this one too. Plus: this half I get to run where the ponies run and less hills.

2 comments:

John said...

Isn't there an indoor track at UK? That would get rid of the "regulated pace" bit. And if you go when it's busy, you'll still have lots of people around you.

Unknown said...

FYI, cutting 10-15 min off a half marathon time is a pretty big goal. I'm trying to cut off about that much for my marathon, but I have 26.2 miles in which to do it. Half the miles means you have to decrease your pace twice as much as you would for the marathon (run even faster!). If my memory serves me correctly, you'd need to run about a 1:30/mile faster, which can be a lot. Not saying it's impossible, but just don't want you to feel so frustrated. Also as a reference point, I only cut off 6 min from my best time, and I was thrilled.

Oh, and no shame in running on a treadmill every now and then. Try setting the thing on random hills, so it's not completely flat. Nothing huge, but it breaks up the boredom and is an added challenge. I'm not much for indoor tracks because usually you have to do something like 40 laps for 5 miles, but if you can stand it, by all means try when the weather gets nasty.

Good luck and I'm proud of you!