Wednesday, March 25, 2009

The Day I Did Math Outloud

When I worked retail (and I've learned this is counter-money making job for me) I dealt with numbers on a somewhat regular basis. Stuff like cost, how many left, sizes, nothing too serious.
Side note: just because sizes run a tad big here (lie) and some people do go down a size in those pants (lie again), your size 10 (actually 12) tush is still not going to fit in that 8 you are eye f*cking. And don't expect me to feel sorry for you when you can't suck it in and those 6's (!) you insisted I bring you won't go up your thighs
(this actually happened-hence the bitchy snark (but then what snark isn't bitchy?))

It's winter clearance time, so everything's about 20-40% off on top of it's already marked down we couldn't sell it full price before Christmas price. Since I'm in the cute clothes and wearing a head set (and probably gossiping w/my fabulous gay boss on it. We alerted each other if a cute boys walked in all the time on that thing), a teen-ish aged girl assumed I was an employee in the store. Rightly so really. Anyways, she stops me, hold up a scarf and asks the normal sale question: "how much is this?" Because I am physically lazy (stand/walk 4 hours in your heels, you get tired too), instead of walking the 15 feet to the registers and scanning the thing for a price check, I start to figure out the math out loud. And we all know how fast I talk, so imagine how fast this all came spewing out.

"Ok it's 78.99 originally (seriously, a scarf for that much?) which is almost 80. It's 20% off because it's winter wear and 10% of 80 is 8 so 20% is times 2 which is 16. 80 minus 16 is 64 but I'm just going to say 65 to make it easier for me. And 30% off of that, so 10% of 65 is 6.5, times 70% is....about foourrrty fiiiive... Give or take a few dollars since I rounded up and down but I also didn't figure tax. Ok?"

She is standing with her mouth slightly open and then actually said "wow." To me it was basic math, but I guess since I did it on the spot w/out a calculator impressed her. Not enough to buy the scarf though. Not that I blame her too much, I wouldn't buy it myself, even with my employee discount on top of that (which was 30%, so 10% of 45 is 4.5, times 7 is...31.5).

No comments: