Wednesday, March 18, 2009

Baby! (not mine)

I know it's not my place to spread the news or announce, but I'm so excited and want to say congratulations to my good friends on their new baby! Their little girl was born yesterday afternoon on St Patty's day, healthy, and she's just beautiful!

Holy crap my friends have a daughter!

You know, something about the words son or daughter, makes it seem that much more, to me. I'm having a hard time describing how, but it does. Over Christmas, I over heard my friend introduce her child to a mutual friend of ours as "this is my son!" And even though I've know the baby for a while, it struck me that time, oh my god, that's her son. I can tell from the way my parents refer to my sister and I sometimes, not as the girls, the kids, or their children. But when they refer to us as a daughter, there's a different inflection. You don't even hear it unless you are really listening for it. There's just something about it, son and daughters, that strikes closer to the heart. Simple words, but an unbelievable amount of impact.

Congratulations again you two (now 3)! I can't wait to meet her!

(updated on 22nd) I just saw the pictures online and I burst into tears, and made all sorts of squeeely noises. She's absolutely beautiful.