Saturday, November 22, 2008

Moral compass

Ten years ago, when my I had my very first boyfriend, my uncle though it prudent to give me a book on how to date applying christian values as a Christmas present. Riiiiight. Number one: overstep. And two: that's complete bull sh*t of a gift. And he wanted me to read some it while he was here so we could discus it. Uuugh. I may have strained my eyes not trying to roll them in front of him. The bullsh*t book said something about not giving it up (ever) and then some couple didn't even kiss until their wedding day. I stopped skimming right then and there and moved to full out mocking (I was only snickering until that point). There might have been a self induced asthma attack from laughing somewhere in there too. The last time I saw it was several years ago in the basement of my college house, water damaged tossed in a box with some wood chips (foam core more then likely in that house). Why was it there you ask? Mocking is much more fun in groups, duh.

Uncle's duty to worry about my moral compass was out of bounds, clearly. But I was a good enough kid regardless, and I had more then honorable enough boyfriends. But I did not heed this book's advice. That ship's sailed and whatnot. I'm quite the heathen (not really, I just like the word). I like to think the guys I dated are grateful for that too.

However, this uncle read it cover to cover and thought it was the gospel. Promised to live by it and other religious cult think. But someone's not going to be worrying about my moral compass anymore (which turned out just fine by the way). Four years after the book gift, he married a whore. And I'm pretty sure how to deal with that kind of sh*t wasn't covered in the book.

No comments: