Wednesday, November 12, 2008

Dating 101

The most swoon worthy thing someone has ever said about me is: "She's so pretty, that I can't even talk." I mean wow, I swooned when I heard that. And yet, I never dated that guy. And he was a sweet, nice, head on strait, do the right thing, motivated guy, the type of guy you marry. No, I didn't date him because at the time, I was too caught up in chasing someone else to really notice. I love the chase. Love it. But as fun as it is, it's also exhausting. It's hard to be on your best behavior all the time. So when I was engaged and officially off the market, I was equal parts happy and disappointed my chasing days were over.
Well I was wrong there wasn't I? Back in the saddle I go (groan). After every break up I always say this: "I want to be chased the next time." But old habits die hard, and every time I plop back in the saddle, I go right back to chasing. And I'm so warped up at doing the catching, I forget I'm trying to be caught. I'm such a rule follower, yet I can't stick to the ones I make for myself. Because I really do want to
be chased. Not in a stalker way (crap, now I have to look out for creep factor again), but I want to be wined and dined, fall for the sappy lines and and be constantly reminded that this guy is trying to woo me. And chivalry! I want the chivalry! You will:
  • Pick me up at my front door (no calling and telling me you are here asshat of an ex fiance).
  • Open my car door first (I will lean over and unlock your door though as you are walking around your car).
  • Not talk/text on the phone when with me (asshat still looking at you).
  • Open the door of where ever we are going for me (you are allowed to surreptitiously check out my tush when doing so).
  • If you think I'm pretty that night, for christ sake say it! But keep it classy, a simple "you look really pretty tonight" is wonderful. Don't just think it and keep it to yourself (guess who I'm still looking at).
  • If you asked me on the date (and you did because you're the one chasing), you will of course pick up the tab, but I will say thank you.
  • Flowers are always welcome, I fall for those every time (no stuffed toys, I'm not 15-ahem).
  • And at the end of the night, you will walk me to my door, tell me you had a wonderful time, and leave like a gentleman. I will decide how much of your virtue you should leave with that night.
Now let's see if I adhere to my be the chased not the chaser rule. I might get another genuine unprovoked swoon worthy compliment like that again. And if it happens, I won't be so foolish to pass someone like that up again, chaser or not.

No comments: