Monday, November 24, 2008

Craft and Crap, 2 letter difference

I'm all for having a hobby. I read, some people knit. Other people collect things, like stamps or boys. And some people, like to do crafts. Shudder. And then there are people who think crafting is the same thing as design. And they are wrong, because crafting stuff is complete and utter crap.

I get art for art sake. I don't think I have a particular style of my own. If you look through my past work, you'll notice there isn't a constant thread through any of it except bad. But even though I didn't peruse the design career, I still went through 6 years of school for it, and I am more then entitled to have an opinion, but more importantly, allowed to judge other people's crap taste. And craft crap is crap. And it's not so much the local artist I have a problem with (though I find a good deal of them are dirty hippies). If the want to starve for their work, that's their prerogative. I even like a few of their pieces at times. But the people who's hobby it is to turn something crappy into something crappier, like mismatched buttons into an ugly picture frame, or add an applique to a lamp shade just to break out the hot glue gun should bedazzle themselves into a box.

But I guess we can't all be designers, or else a lot of my friends wouldn't have jobs. And we have to have the crap stuff out there so that the good stuff is clearly much better. But there's still no excuse for bad taste. Or a beadazzeler.

1 comment:

Sourire11 said...

Glue guns lead to so much FAIL.