Saturday, December 27, 2008

You germ-a-phobes can kiss my ass

Last year I was a sniffling, coughing, sneezing, aching dayquil poster child. Well, that is until they changed the formula of the quils so it could still sell it over the counter. It doesn't work as well anymore (or at all). And I loved being on day/nyquil. Stupid meth heads, you ruined it for the rest of us.

Now I cough properly into my shoulder or elbow. I wash my hands thoroughly. I'm very aware if raw meat has touched something. I'm up to date on booster shots, immunizations and had a tetanus shoot last year (sucker hurt like a mother f*cker too!). I take preventive health care measures. But you people, you germ-a-phobes, annoy me. Because your apocalypse stockpile of anti-bacterial hand gel isn't going to be your saving grace from the world of evil germs. Yes, sterilization is important, and it is imperative in clinical settings. But in every day life, really, it can be unnecessary. It's you people who go to the doctor and demand antibiotics every time you get the sniffles that we have super bugs like MRSA. There's something to be said about being too freaking sterilized. Seriously, give your immune system a chance to form it's own protection.

Well anyway, last year-dayquil poster child. I ended up missing a day of work becasue a stupid cold knocked me out. Well, when I got back, I popped my behind the counter pills at 6 hour intervals (the kind you have to show your id for, sign your life away and are only allowed to buy 3 boxes a year becasue they are awesome) and sucked on cough drops like candy so I wouldn't scare people (I worked at employee health, it's bad form to have one of the front desk people not healthy). But I sounded awful, and I my coughing wasn't completely suppressed. Plus I looked like hell, you could tell I was sick. Well, my 23 year old coworker (she'll always be that to me) followed me around with a cavcide wipe (hospital grade anti-bacterial wipes) wiping everything I had touched, or she primly used the anti-bacterial hand gel every time I coughed. QUITE ANNOYING. So after one too many feverish cavicide swipes of the office, as she sat down, I croaked out "Joke's on you, I licked one of your pens."

No comments: