Thursday, December 11, 2008

Troop 98

I sorta dated my way through a boy scout troop. It's not as whorey as it seems. Long story short, in high school I was in this group thing called Ventures. Or what I refer to as: co-ed boy scouts. It was partnered up with one of the troops in town, but I pretty much joined to go on a week long sailing trip in the spring (and my frienemy made me). I even real camped at one point (and haven't since w/out the aid of booze). Anyway, I had a tendency to date/crush on the guys in the troop (who were my age). My first boyfriend had been a member of that troop, but he left once he got his Eagle. And then I brought him to co-ed boy scouts when we were dating. Welcome back with open arms and whatnot. He left pretty soon after we broke up, gee I wonder why? Couldn't have been me... that and he left for basic training soon after. Meh, I moved on to the cute shy guy in the troop and turned him into my second boyfriend (who I snagged on the sailing trip that I originally joined for anyway). And I my senior prom date was a guy from there too. But that's pretty much it, nothing more really.

I think (ok, I know) I flirted with almost all the guys in that troop. Because I could. And the scout moms hated me. It took me a long time to understand why, but they were momma bears protecting their cubs from the enemy known as teenage girl. When word got around I was going to prom with one of their beloved scouts (as friends, who by the way, was the one to ask me), their first reaction was not: tell me about your dress, like the were asking my frienemy (it was navy with silver flowers in case you we wondering). No no, they all felt it was their duty to inform me: "you know he's leaving for college right?" And my response: "I am too." Geeze women, I wasn't going to wrap all my dreams in a boy from high school (I dream wrapped later in life).

But now that I think about it, I should go back to chasing scouts (oh wait, I'm not chasing right now) Well, not the ones actually in the troop now, becasue that's illegal. But in theory, the guys who continue through scouts into high school (I think they drop the "boy" part somewhere around puberty) are pretty put together guys later in life. Always prepared, honorable and other virtues they get in that handbook thing. Plus there's some sort of code they follow and you know how I'm stickler for the rules.

So, boys, I'm back in town, and I'm single again! (Scout moms be dammed)

No comments: