Sunday, December 14, 2008

Book Recomendation

Might I recommend The Golden Compass? It's a children's book, but it's not a pretty pretty picture book (I could loose hours looking at those though) or See Jane run learn to read either. There have been a few times I've raised my eyebrows and thought, this is a children's book? I honestly wouldn't recommend it to anyone under 14.

It was made into a movie last year w/Daniel Craig (mmm), and Nicole Kidman. And I advise you see it first just so you know how to pronounce a few things. I know fantasy writing allows liberties with the English language, but it's British fantasy... But when the movie came out, there was a big hoopla with a bunch of churches, telling their congregations to boycott the movie. I think the trilogy was written by an atheist, and in the third book the rumor is that the characters try to "kill god." Meh, the controversy just gave it more publicity and the churches shut up real fast when they saw they were driving people to it rather then away from it.

Well, I was reading it at my mom's office while I waited for her get off work (we used to car pool). I was keeping quiet and to myself like a well behaved young lady, when suddenly I just bust out, "well, no wonder the church groups got all twitty about this, they're doing opium in the first chapter!" And then I went back to my quiet zone. Still, pretty good read so far though.

No comments: