Monday, December 8, 2008

I love Throwing Parties

Ergo, I love throwing showers. So when I was my sister's maid of honor, I was pretty happy to throw her one. I was fairly relaxed about it though. I shopped for prizes and favors on my own time, finalized the menu in an hour and then timed everything pretty well. And what really helped was that I was able to delegate a lot of things to other people. And the other bridesmaid was super eager to help, she did a lot of the cooking prep work, which made everything run really smooth. For 10 seconds during the planning process, my mom worried something was a bit over the top. But I told her, I want to do it this way. This is for my sister, my only sibling, and we're going to do this right, and I'm more then happy to do so. She's going to have the best bridal shower a girl could dream of.

And success! The food went over very well (even the vegetarians were happy), people enjoyed the games, and Amy broke one ribbon for her mother-in-law. We had relatives from out of town come in for it, and a lot of Amy's friends from high school were able to come as well. Turns out this was Amy's first bridal shower, it just happened to be her own. It was a classic shower, and everyone had a good time.

But the best moment for me wasn't when watching her open the gifts, or talking to the extended family. It wasn't laughing at Amy's witty answers or marveling how well she knows her husband (I mean, she knows what his super power would be). My favorite moment came much later in the evening. We were going to bed and my sister decided to sleep in my room since the bed in her room is uncomfortable. And just before she fell asleep, Amy turned around and said to me, "thank you for the party." And that was the best moment of her shower for me.

No comments: