Saturday, March 12, 2011

Newer Model

Dr soc and I would rather eat our weight in glue than go antiquing.

But I don't hate all antiques though (like jewelry. As of late I can't stop looking and oohing and ahhing over antique looking settings and have I mentioned how much I really really love these halo w/pave diamonds setting? (size 5 honey. You're welcome)). I hate crap that's old and busted, but tries to pass itself off as an antique. Vintage furniture or a retro style I can get behind. The 1/2 degree from uc exposed and allowed me to appreciate different aesthetics and older time periods.

However, dr soc is usually of the school of thought that newer/shinier version is the better version. (though he doesn't care for Ikea style too much, and if we're being honest, the furniture's not my favorite either. It's too low. Though we both like Crate and Barrel). And while I agree with him on that for certain things like technology, I don't apply that philosophy to everything.

Like trading me in for a newer model one day. There's still the unfair standard that men get better with age like a fine wine, whereas for women aging is a cardinal sin. It wouldn't be hard for my sexy as hell phd boyfriend to get a younger shinier model if he so desired. Fortunately though, I look young enough as is, will probably continue to age gracefully thanks to my asian half, and by the time that I do start to look old and busted, dr soc's eyesight is already terrible and he probably won't be able to tell. Oh, and yeah, he's also a really great guy and who loves me for many other reasons besides the superficial, and appreciates my maturity, (though maybe not my penchant for squealing over sparkly things) and wouldn't dare go for a newer model.

That and he knows if he does go the mid-life crisis by way of newer model route, I won't pussyfoot around and will take everything, including his dog. So we're good.

No comments: