Friday, March 11, 2011

Flashback

I needed to bring in a few copies of my resume and reference contact sheet to an interview I had this morning. First: interview, yay! And it went well I think, so phew. But that's not the point of this post. Let's go back to the "needed to bring in a few copies of my resume" part.

My resume is a saved word document file I can email and/or print when I need. Since moving to Charlotte, I've only uploaded and attached it as I've been applying for jobs. Printing a physical copy is a perfunctory thing, so I figured I would do that before I went to bed last night and then get a good night's rest so I could be on my A-game.

I haven't had to use my new (to me) printer yet, so it stayed in it's box until last night. As I'm starting to set it up, I discover there are no cables of any sort in there. A few extra ink cartridges, all color and no black ink, but no cables, not even a power one. So for the moment I have an expensive paper weight. Normally in a situation like this, I would just save the file to a flash drive and print it on dr soc's printer, but his is out of ink. Which we knew because that was why I was setting up my printer in the first place. And my extra ink cartridges won't work in his printer either.

We don't live in the middle of nowhere, and I could easily do a google search and find the nearest 24 copy/print place, or run to a 24 hour big-box store and get the right cables or ink for dr soc's printer. But those things take a little time, and it's just past 11 o'clock by this point. By the time I would have gone out, shopped, returned home and printed a few copies, it would be after midnight and I then I would still have to get ready for bed. So I start having nightmare flashbacks to my daap days. The staying up all night, racing against the clock to get drawings done, have them ready in time to take to the printers the second they open, running out of ink halfway through a print job, and everyone else's printer in use and/or in the same situation as yours. Just bad, stressful flashbacks.

I'm sitting at my desk rubbing my temples because I know that this is a remediable situation, but I'm crippled behind my flashbacks. But dr soc saved the day/night. Seeing my frustration, he said he would run out and get the ink for his printer in the morning as I got ready. Which he did and then printed the copies I needed this morning while I did my makeup. I got to go to bed at a reasonable hour, I had enough resumes and reference lists in the morning, I didn't have to rush and made it to the interview with time to spare, on my A-game. I know printer ink may seem somewhat trivial to some, but to me he was my knight in shining armor. God I love that man!

No comments: