Saturday, March 26, 2011

It's All In Who You Know

So, I have a BA in sociology. (I really do! The fancy piece of paper came!) Dr soc has his PhD in sociology. (And a BA and MA while I'm lauding his accomplishments.) Did I mention that we both got those aforementioned degrees from the same school?

Yeah. Like that doesn't look scandalous..

But it's actually not. He received the PhD August 2009 and was out of the graduate program by the time I switched to sociology in around October 2009. There was never a teacher/student relationship, and it's not like he would have crossed the line if there was anyway, since he still won't make out with me in his office.

Well, anyway, we may have never crossed paths while at UK, but we knew a lot of the same people. And that would be due to him knowing who all my teachers were since they were grad students of sociology and he was in grad school with them for 5 years. And not that it came up, but we felt it best to just not mention "us" in the department.
But once, just once, I let one of my teachers know who I was dating. I had needed help on a few problems and had gone to office hours. We were just chatting about things and thus the following conversation:

teach: When do you graduate?
me: December!
teach: Cool! What are you going to do after graduation?
me: I'm moving to Charlotte and there I'll try to find a job and then get into grad school there.
teach: Are you going to go in into library science? And why Charlotte?
me: Yeah, I am and my boyfriend accepted a job there this summer. So I'm joining him after graduation.
teach: Oh cool. What does he do?
me: He teaches at a community college.
teach: Does he have his PhD?
me: He does.
teach: Where did he get it from?
me: Here....from UK
teach: Really? Cool. What does he teach?
me: Sociology...
teach: And he got his PhD here?
By this point I know if I keep evading it's just going to look worse and worse. So I figure letting one person know isn't the end of the world, and we're adults about this.
me: Yeah...yeah, it's Mike soc.
teach: NO way! (his face face lit up with recognition.) That's awesome! Tell him I said Hi!
me: Will do.

Of course I told dr soc about it and him and my teacher were friends so it wasn't that big of a deal. But it was still funny.

No comments: