Monday, March 28, 2011

Do You Take This Man AND His Wives?

I've been watching the tv show Sister Wives. It's a reality show that follows a polygamous family in Utah, and it chronicles their lives without the cloak and dagger blurred faces and voice distortion ticks of tv.

The sociologist in me says, it's an alternative type of family and people should accept that. If we are willing to accept single parents, gay parents, step-parents, and grandparents as parents, half siblings and blended families as social norms, then why should multiple parents who love their children be deemed unacceptable? It's a caring family and they don't seem to be doing anything illegal. And I doubt they would expose themselves and their lifestyle on tv if they were doing doing anything of the sort. They may have alternative lifestyle, but they aren't stupid. All the children, as many as there are, seem to be ok too. So that part of me says ok, let them be.

The other part in me can't understand why any person, man or woman, is ok with sharing their spouse. I'll admit to being selfish and want dr soc for me and me only. All mine, all mine, all mine!

But while I don't understand that lifestyle and know it's not for me, I'm not judging them for it. Really. I give them credit for braving the criticism and trying to be open about their lives. Good luck!

No comments: