Thursday, March 3, 2011

Engagment Chicken

Apparently, if you make this chicken, your boyfriend will propose shortly after.

Pictured: a lot of women's hopes and dreams stuffed up a chicken's butt.

While it's no secret that I want to get married and start a family with dr soc, I find this Pavlovian way of thinking: roast chicken to get ring very ugh, deceitful and desperate. Speaking from experience, deciding to spend the rest of your life with someone is not a decision to take lightly. And getting engaged, while romantic and life changing is not something that should hinge on stuffing lemons up a chicken's butt.

So I'm reading the recipe and the comments out loud as dr soc cleans this kitchen, and note that I roasted a chicken for dinner a few weeks ago, but dr soc has yet to drop to one knee. But that chicken it was underdone and used an apple/onion combo as the aromatics, so my lack of a ring with that chicken is clearly my own fault. (Once cooked all the way through it was good, it just took forever to get there!)

However: this silly stupid chicken story became a perfect gateway for dr soc to ask me what my ring size is and what I like as far as engagement rings go. Let's take a moment and squee about that shall we?

SQUEEEEEEEEEEE! OMG sparkly! Exciting! Squee squee SQUEEEEEE!

Ahem. Right, ok then, Yes, story at hand. Dr soc has asked me what I like as far as engagement rings go. And because I am super super helpful, I pull up about 4 different jewelry sites and navigate through them simultaneously. While oohing and ahhing the whole time and educating dr soc in the 4 C's of diamonds.

But dr soc is a visual learner, so babbling away wasn't making too much sense to him. So I took his needs into account and plopped the laptop in his lap while I sat next to him and explained things. (See? I'm so, so helpful!) He was a pretty good sport about it but he got overwhelmed pretty quick. And he wants to keep some surprise in there, so I think he just wants some parameters and he'll take it from there.

me (helpful): This setting is a cathedral setting which is pretty, but this and this setting seems to work better for this diamond cut and I have the fingers for a marquis cut, but it's not my favorite cut and there are so many different styles out there and ...
dr soc: (eyes wide) Can, um, can you write all this down for me somewhere? I just...yeah, write it down.
me (cheerfully): Sure!
dr soc: Ok...good. (by this point, his breathing starts to get really labored)
me: (concerned) You ok? You're breathing pretty hard here. Is it your allergies or is the computer screen too much for you?
dr soc (laughing nervously): I'm.... I'm not sure.
me (helpful again): That's ok, we can close the computer screen for the moment and you can distract me with watching Top Chef.
dr soc: Ok. (note his breathing calmed down here)

So, looks like he's not quite as excited as say, me. But that's ok because I am am supportive and can help him! But joke's aside, he's thinking about it which is awesome and I'm happy.

Now pardon me while I go squee some more now.

3 comments:

Bry said...

For what it's worth, I proposed to my wife over a half-eaten chicken not unlike that one, lol.

Unknown said...

My proposal involved olives. This is probably because I don't eat chicken...

Spazzella said...

I do have a whole chicken in my freezer and a bag of lemons in my fruit bowl...