Friday, February 19, 2010

The Worst Thing I EVER Ate

Two nights ago, I didn't get much sleep (the Olympics keep me up), so I was dragging for some of the day. I was anticipating not a great run, so I grabbed these energy pellets I had gotten as a free sample from one of my races on my way out the door. The brand was "Life Fitness" or something like that, coffee flavored, and it had "great new taste!" So I figured may as well, we'll see how I feel running time.

They were the worse thing I have ever put in my mouth. Seriously.

First: they were nearly impossible to open. I gnawed my way through the plastic before something tore. It's difficult to run and drink water for me, imagine how hard it was to open this palm size pouch. I had run over a half mile by that point.

Second: the texture was disgusting. The second the pellet touched my tongue, it broke into chunky grainy parts and coated my mouth with a chalky texture. But then I had to chew it up because it didn't break down any more after the initial break apart one.

And third: they had the most REVOLTING taste. "Great new taste" my ass. Taste like ass is better description.

I'm dying to spit these out, but I didn't want to stop my run since I was on a limited schedule. So I choked them down and gargled some water, hoping to wash some of the bitter out. At some point (still running btw), I spat out "it's like acid rain in my mouth! Chalky, acid rain!" (not that I know what acid rain taste like, but I'm sure this is not far off.

The taste never went away the entire run. I ended up drinking 20 oz of water that run, making me feel really sloshy. And the worst part, they made me seriously nauseous the rest of the day. Not in the tear my stomach up way the gels/sport beans did. I felt like I wanted throw up more that 6 hours later. (throwing up may have tasted better I bet)

Obviously, I should have not taken them, especially as I struggled to even open them. I think the running gods were mad at me for skipping my Tuesday run and then shortening it the next day. (I ran 4 today to make up for that missed mile) Or they were trying to intervene and save me. Either way, running gods, I'm sorry. For disappointing you or not heeding your warning.

Please don't let me put any more bad things in my mouth!

No comments: