Thursday, February 4, 2010

Baby Names

Remember my plan of two kids who are Rhodes scholars and all that? Yeah, well it probably shouldn't surprise you, but they have names too. As I said to my hairdresser the other day: I am the creepy girl who has already named her babies. The names have changed over time, for different reasons. Some were just stupid (Cleopatra. Shut up, I was 12), others I dated someone by that name and that would be awkward, or I just lost interest.

Somehow, the whole notion of me pre-picking baby names did not scare my ex. We even agreed on them. Though my girl's name was Ella, but then his niece got herself named Bella and well, you know. In theory, I could still use this name seeing as we're no longer together, but now there's that stupid pathetic 17 year old girl from that insipid teen saga known as Twilight. People will automatically assume I named her after a character who's one and only reason to live is a spend eternity with a boy who glitters and drinks blood. (have I mentioned I think Twilight is bull shit?) And clearly, there can be no ties to this waste of 1000 pages and to my Rhodes scholar.

Ahem, sorry, tangent there. We really had no issue when it came to naming our kids. Then we started arguing about who was getting "fixed," (for goodness sake it's just a little snip and an out patient procedure for you. You get an ice pack and go home. It's actual surgery for me, I go to the operating room and get narcotics. Doesn't the thought of me that way scare you even a little bit? (I attempted to use the don't you love me enough to fear for my safety card in this argument)) then I snapped back to my senses and said how about we actually have the kids before we figure out how to not have any more.

With Ella out, we agreed on Madeline and Jacob. But I've fallen out of love with those names since everyone else seems to like them too. And they were also "our" names, and well, if I'm not going to name a son after an ex boyfriend, it doesn't feel right to still name him something I had planed on with someone else.

Not to be deterred though, I have several other names I like. That I will keep to myself for the time being because they may change once again by the time I have children. So now, I just need the kids to give them to.

No comments: