Monday, February 15, 2010

Pet people

I get that not everyone is a pet person. I wasn't growing up. Over time, I had 2 hamsters, a guinea pig and a fish or two, but nothing that could walk around the house free range. Nothing I could leash. I didn't hate animals, I just didn't have one, and I didn't mind or know if I ever would have a pet in my adult life.

But when we adopted Bailey, I became a dog person. My favorite animal in the whole wide world is Bailey (monkeys and most dogs are tied for 2nd). I instantaneously understood how people get so attached to their pets. Why they consider them family and give them presents.The instant Mark placed all squiggly squirmy 12 lbs of Bailey in my arms, it was love. She looked at me with her pretty brown kohl rimmed eyes, gave me a kiss on the chin and everyone in the shelter knew she was mine. And it wasn't just that I adored her in an instant, it was that I knew she loved me too, unconditionally and with out judgment.

So I know both sides, pet people and non pet people. I know that not everyone thinks my dog is the bestest ever. I admit she's naughty and ornery, strong willed beyond reason and I don't think she's the smartest dog in the world (she's not dumb, but she's not smart). If you don't like pets, that's fine I understand. But even if you do think those things about my dog, and you don't like her because of it, that doesn't give you the right to say so. Especially in front of me. Because it hurts my feelings. Yes, talking smack about my dog, hurts my feelings. Because to me, naughty or not, she is most definitely, the bestest ever.

No comments: