Saturday, February 6, 2010

Gel It

Have y'all ever heard of energy gels? Don't worry, most people have no idea what you're talking about unless you somewhat live in the world of endurance athleticism or know someone who does. I had never heard of them until my sister ran her first marathon and used them to train. She swears by the things.

They are literally a 1-oz pouch of gel full of carbohydrates and other stuff that keep you going. It's not like the Popeye/spinach effect and you don't take off like Speedy Gonzales either. But they give you a little oomph. If the thought of sucking down something that has the opacity of jelly and the constancy of something not quite like pudding skeeves you out, there are other options. They come in jelly bean form, gel blocks (more chewy than then pure gel), or powders to mix in your water.

You should take them about every hour of activity or every 6-7 miles, depending on your pace. And today was my first 6 mile long run, so I decided to gel it. I've only used them on race days and they are a god send during the race, but they absolutely tear my stomach up later in day. But maybe it's because my body isn't used to them so once a year is too much a shock to my intestinal system.

So, I'll train with the gels this time and see how it goes. Maybe my system will accept it and this won't be a problem post race. Because my 6 mile run today with gel blocks? Took me 61.5 minutes. It was boring until the eye candy got there, but I ran a 10 minute mile the entire time, and I felt GOOD the entire time. (the extra 1.5 is from the few moments I slowed down to walk in order to drink. I'm not coordinated enough to run and drink from my Nalgene bottle. Not to mention the puddles would be huge around me!) Yeah, the blocks are making me paying right now, but it's been months since my system had one. This probably just takes time.


So, let's gel it!
added 2/14/10: I stocked up on different gels and had one yesterday. Six miles in 61 minutes, no major tummy problems the rest of the day. I think I'm on the right path with these things. The texture though- still not pudding.

2 comments:

schizm42 said...

how about running with a camelback? do people do that? or are water-bottles where it is at?

Spazzella said...

I think the camelbak is a water thingy. I have a water bottle belt that I haven't used yet. But I asked my running guru and she said just play with the gels until you find one that works. I think I'm on the right path with them now.