Friday, February 26, 2010

Gender Roles

I took a gender roles class at uc and loved it. So when presented with a class very similar to it at UK, I said sign me up! (and it fit my schedule this semester, rock). I find gender fascinating and on a continuous dichotomy. And while the boundaries of both men and women are challenged, altered, poked and prodded, we all still play or "do gender" as a part of our every day lives.

Girls learn very early on, it's important to be pretty. And if you aren't pretty, then you better have something else that makes you marketable. I know it's not the greatest way of thinking and it's horrible for self esteem, but well, it's how it is. Lucky, lucky, lucky for me, I got a sparkling personality, a list of great on paper attributes and good looks to go with it.

But it doesn't matter that I am likable and smart and funny and that other wonderful stuff you want in a person. Because I had a date the other night (squeee! If I get another date with him I'll spill more) and as we're talking, I'm trying to convey all of those above attributes. But at the same time I was constantly thinking "god I hope he thinks I'm pretty."

No comments: