Saturday, February 27, 2010

Big Green Monster

Has anyone ever told you they "never get jealous?" Or they aren't the type to be threatened, and they say it all smug like, "you can't phase me."

That is a bold faced lie. They might not realize it yet, but no one is immune to it. Because I have dated the "I never get jealous" guy, and it is UG.LY when it happens. And the worst part, he typically takes it out on you. Mainly because he's being confronted with an emotion he doesn't understand, and he reacts to it by basically being an ass. (oh yes, this is unfortunately a first hand experience.)

I'm not immune to, oh hell no. Perfect example, I was bartending a banquet and there was a new server. She was pretty, laid back, kind of a guys girl, and was trying to get a music career happening. She was my boyfriend's dream girl and I knew it. I immediately didn't like her. It didn't matter I knew he would never cheat on me. I also don't know what her opinion on my boyfriend was in the first place. Didn't matter, not one bit. I saw her as a threat, didn't like her, did not want to get to know her, and I didn't want him around her either. When she moved to NY, I was not one bit sorry to see her go. My boyfriend had no idea this was going on, it wasn't until she came up in a conversation months later I told him I didn't like her. He was shocked because I'm actually a pretty cool girlfriend and don't care if my guy has some female friends. But I'm human, and jealousy is a very human emotion.

And sometimes, I think a little jealousy can be a good thing, because it makes you aware of what you have. I have used it before as a means of getting attention and gauging interest. It's worked on occasion, but it is very, very tricky. It is playing with fire, and I've gotten burned before. It's also an immature way to go, and it really never works the way you originally intended.

I will admit to being jealous, even if it doesn't happen that often. If there's a threat, you will react to it somehow. So when someone (ok, a guy) tells me they aren't a jealous type, I snort and think sure buddy. You've just never had anything worth to be jealous over

No comments: