Monday, September 7, 2009

Picnic with the Pups

We adopted Bailey when she was 3 months old form the spca in Cincinnati. (even though I don't consider her ours anymore, we adopted her together, and that doesn't change. And it's not painful to think of it that way either) There they told us she was a Shepard mix. I understood the Shepard part, but what did they mean by mix? I was told that it meant they knew the mom had some Shepard in her, but that was it.

Side note: what's with designer mutts? Matlipoo (Maltese/poodle), puggle (pug/beagle), goldendoodle (golden retriever/poodle), Schnoodle (Poodle/ Schnauzer)... Fancy name aside, it's still a mix. Though I have to hand it to poodles because no matter what you breed it with you automatically get a fun name. There's just something about the -oodle.

But anyway, I don't know really know what Bailey is. Part Shepard, full spaz. She's a Kentucky tan dog (she used to be an Ohio tan, but I think you can see why I changed that). But other people care seem to care what she is. So when they see her, they start assigning/asking me about breeds. I've been told boxer, Pitt, pointer, beagle, and most recently, ridgeback.

But yesterday I went to a dog thing with my friend and (of course) the dog, and Bailey's doppelganger was there. Only this one was a little fatter. This one was named Molly
(which incidentally, was what we almost named Bailey at first), and she looked just like Bailey, same color, head shape, hair length and texture, and build (just fatter). However, Molly, was known to be mostly ridgeback.

So I google searched ridgeback and this is what I get:

Oh holy crap, that's my dog

And then I googled Ridgeback Shepard mix and got this:
Seriously, is that one my dog?

And while I still honestly have no idea what she is, I think those pictures give me a pretty good idea of what one of her parents had in her. To me, she's a sweet, adorable mutt, just my Bailey.
Ok this one actually is my dog. Hi momma, I in your bed!

I guess my dog's part ridgeback. Who knew?

Added 9/8/0/9: ridgebacks are African lion hunting dogs. LION. Whoa. However she does love to chase cats, so this makes sence.

No comments: