Wednesday, May 5, 2010

Rest In Peace

Yesterday Lexington laid to rest one of it's police officers. The young officer was killed in the line of duty by a hit-and-run. He leaves behind his wife and a young son. I actually knew this guy, he was the ex boyfriend of one of my girlfriends from high school. And while I honestly didn't think about him after we graduated, I was somewhat shell shocked when I saw his picture splashed across the news.

He was honored with a full processional which I watched most of from my perch at work. And it was an incredibly humbling experience to see so many officers from across the state silently honoring their fallen comrade.

It takes a stronger woman than me to be an officer's wife.

I do feel bad for the man arrested for the officer's death. He has his problems and he needs help, but he will never have another chance at a normal life ever again. While not the same magnitude, his family lost someone too.
Everyone lost in this.

Ultimately, I ache for everyone. The city who lost an officer. His wife and son who will miss him more than words could ever say. For all the officers who lost a co-worker and friend, and who still do their job knowing it could be any one of them being honored this way.


Rest in Peace Officer.

No comments: