Sunday, December 6, 2009

Sharing is Caring

Except for the bathroom that is. I'm not very good at sharing one. Or germs, those aren't nice things to give other people either. I'm pretty good at sharing those though.

But the bathroom, if it starts as my bathroom I'm not good at sharing it. Because I've shared a bathroom most of my life until the past year. I shared one with my sister growing up, (and yep we fought over it) with roommates in college (8 people, 2 baths, you do the math), and a boy in a one bathroom apartment (though he used all my stuff, so really, it was pretty much mine with the addition of aftershave). But since I've been home, I don't have to share the bathroom with anyone!

Since I didn't really know what it like to not share one, I didn't realize how much I like having my own bathroom until recently and I had to share with company. And now, I'm all, it's my place my place! If I ever end up living with another guy, I think it would be a wise investment to get place with 2 bathrooms. Otherwise I will take over the whole thing like I did before and he might get a drawer (if we have multiple ones to share that is).

And I also didn't realize how much I love counter space in the bathroom until I lived with a boy. When ex-y and I were searching for our 2nd apartment, I made us look at a converted warehouse. Anyway, I see the bathroom and there's a long counter top that runs along the entire wall. (though all the apartments in the building we saw, the layouts were odd and a little cramped. Not great space planning. It was really going for the hipster-esq cool urban living feel. Except that Cincinnati (Camp Washington) urban living isn't quite there yet. Nor is it the safest feeling in the world). But going from a tiny sink to a 10 foot counter top (10' for one sink? Like I said, poorly laid out), I fell in love with that Formica plane of space.

I gleefully said: "oh! Look at all that counter space! God we need that."

Ex: "we don't need counter space in the bathroom."

The realtor (or whatever) and I exchange a knowing look and I say: "Ok honey, let's put it this way: I need counter space."

He opened his mouth to say something else, took a look at my don't-argue-with-me-face, shook his head and said: "Oh. Then I get the little study area for my music stuff."

"Sure honey" I just didn't tell him the little study area was also going to be used for the computer, my books, the growing pile of wedding crap/info and the rest of junk we didn't have space for.

No comments: