Monday, December 21, 2009

American Girl

As a young girl, I had my fair share of dolls. Lots of Barbies, of course, but I also had an American Girl Doll. And before I even had the doll, I read the books. All of 6 stories of each girl. (I'm referring strictly to the historical dolls by the way- there's a lot of other "dolls like me" the company offers that I never cared about)

There were three original dolls when the dolls debuted, Kristen, Molly and Samantha. Felicity came a little later and then Addy. After Addy, I was a little too old to be reading the American Girl books and was probably being forced to read whatever we were reading in Language Arts class (did I mention my middle school was a little pretentious? It wasn't english class, it was language arts. What's the difference anyway?)

Anyway, even though I haven't read those books in a long time, I remember them and encourage other readers to read them. And I shelve them quite often at work, so I know they are still adored like I did when I was in 3rd and 4th grade.

But I just found out that the Samantha and Kristen dolls have been retired. I know these dolls are not cheap, but I wanted Samantha because she was my favorite of the books that I read. What if another little girl wants her for that same reason? I mean, is there not enough room in the world of little girl's hearts to have another doll?

From a marketing standpoint I get it, if they aren't selling like the others, a doll that is expensive to buy and produce will be taken off the market.

But my sulky inner child is thinking: thanks you assholes for taking away that part of my childhood.

No comments: